History of the Boys and Girls Club of Durham
The Eastview Boys' and Girls' Club was founded in 1963 by the Simcoe Hall Women's Welfare League of Oshawa. In 1989 the Eastview Boys and Girls Club received its own charter of operation with its own Board of Directors. The Club has a core membership of approximately 1000, located in twenty-one units across Durham, and serves an approximate user population of 6,000 per year, representing an age range from 4 years old to over 80 years old. However, the main client program base is 4-18 years of age.
The first Executive Director of the Eastview Boys and Girls Club was Harold W. McNeill, who later was appointed judge of the Juvenile and Family Court of Oshawa/Whitby. Judge McNeill served as Executive Director for the Club from 1960 to 1968 and was responsible for the funding and building of the new and present club prior to its opening in 1963.
We welcomed Lisa McNee-Baker, our first female Executive Director in 2007. Lisa was responsible for leading many positive changes in our Club, including Eastview Boys' and Girls' Club officially changing its name to the Boys and Girls Club of Durham in 2011 to reflect that our club serves the entire Durham Region, and our club renovation in 2018. Lisa left her position as Executive Director in early 2019 and was replaced by Kathleen Hutton.
As of September 2019, the Boys and Girls Club of Durham offers After-School Program in 21 locations throughout the Durham Region.