Aquatic Lifeguard and Instructor
Program Activity Leader
Please scroll down for more details
Position: Aquatic Lifeguard and Swim Instructor
Main Function: The Boys and Girls Club of Durham is hiring Lifeguards and Swim Instructors for our main location in Oshawa. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who display great leadership skills, responsibility and the ability to work alone and as a team.
Reports To: Aquatic Director
1. Have an understanding of child development
2. Has a solid knowledge of all strokes and skills for all levels of the Red Cross Swim program
3. Prepare lesson plans for every Aquatic class
4. Prevent Accidents through the enforcement of policies, rules and regulations of the Club
5. Prepare mid-session and final Aquatic progress reports according to policy.
6. Be physically fit and alert to meet any emergency situation
7. Maintain current qualifications
8. Attend all staff trainings and meetings
9. To perform all other duties deemed necessary by the Aquatic Director & Executive Director
Eligibility Requirements: Potential Candidates must have the following awards prior to the start of employment:
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume detailing skills and qualifications; Applicants must be available to attend an interview in person, interviews will not be conducted via the telephone and/or the internet;
Application Instructions: To be considered for an Aquatic Lifeguard and Instructor Position, the cover letter and resume must be submitted to email@example.com OR dropped off in person
We thank all those persons who apply, but advise that due to the large number of applications received, acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants invited for an interview.
The Boys and Girls Club of Durham is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise the agency of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Position: After School Program Activity Leader
Main Function: Provide leadership and supervision to children in the After-School Program. Implement lesson plans, ensure children participate in all activities, while ensuring the safety and well being of all participants.
Reports To: After-School Program Assistant, Coordinator, and Program Director
1. Provide supervision and leadership to program participants.
2. Will provide a safe, structured environment for the participants.
3. Will ensure that the participants’ needs are met and that they are enjoying the program.
4. Will assure that the Members’ Rules of Conduct are carried out in the program.
5. Will act as a role model for the participants conducting oneself in a respectful, cordial, mature and responsible manner.
6. Will adhere to the Principles for Healthy Child Development
7. Will take the time to research and to plan assigned program activities, making activities innovative, motivating and interesting to our Members.
8. Maintain acceptable appearance in uniform and personal hygiene at all times.
9. Will work with and provide directions to the volunteers and students.
10. Will attend the staff meetings, trainings, and planning sessions as required.
11. Responsible for helping to clean the program areas and other maintenance duties as needed.
12. Will act as a representative of the Boys and Girls Club of Durham and help promote the Club by example and being of service to parents, volunteers, and other clients as the need arises.
13. Will maintain regular, positive and consistent feedback to parents when they are signing out their child/children.
14. Will complete written documentation as required and submit to supervisor in a timely fashion.
15. Will follow and practice all health and safety rules in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Public Health Act.
16. Ensure that supplies and equipment are adequate, safe and in good repair.
•Monday to Friday - flexible hours are required, dictated by programming needs, hours typically fall between 2pm and 6pm
•Required to work in a variety of settings including outdoors and in the pool.
1.Experience in programs for youth 5-18 years of age and a knowledge of child development.
2.Excellent communications skills.
3.Familiar with the High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development.
4.Knowledge of fitness and nutrition.
5.First Aid and C.P.R. certifications.
6.Punctual, meticulous, reliable.
Submit your resume to the appropriate person for the locations you are interested in:
Oshawa/Clarington Schools: Bobby Orr P.S., Newcastle Recreation Complex, Harmony Heights P.S., John M. James P.S., and St. Thomas Aquinas C.S.
Whitby Schools: C.E. Broughton P.S., E.A. Fairman P.S., John Dryden P.S., Sir William Stephenson P.S., and St. John the Evangelist C.S.
Ajax Schools: Bolton C. Falby P.S., Carruthers Creek P.S., St. James C.S., and West Lynde P.S.
Ajax/Pickering Schools: Alexander Graham Bell P.S., Glengrove P.S., Lincoln Avenue P.S., Terry Fox P.S. and Vimy Ridge P.S.